Leyla from GetFitWithLeyla and I got together to make some yummy healthy snacks for you guys! In this video, we’ll show you how to make a traditional Russian Zucchini Spread (Кабачковая Икра).
This spread is vegan and is low in fat and calories. You can use this spread for sandwiches, wraps or even eat it as dip with some healthy crackers. This recipe is super easy to make and requires just a few basic ingredients.
I had so much fun filming with Leyla! She is such an amazing and inspiring human being, and I felt so lucky to get to know her and work with her. I was pretty nervous while filming this video. I’m sure you guys can tell.
All I could think was, “OMG! I am at Leyla’s house.” haha
Leyla and I also filmed a video for these scrumptious Raw Vegan Brownies. They are absolutely delicious! Click here to check out the recipe.
- 7-10 medium zucchinis
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sesame or olive oil
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- Peel zucchinis and carrots and cut them into small chunks so that they fit in your food processor.
- Process the zucchinis in a food processor until they become a pure.
- Strain the zucchini pure to get rid of the juices.
- Pulse the onion and then carrots in a food processor until they are shredded into small pieces.
- Place strained zucchini pure in a large pot, add salt and cook for 30 min over low heat. Stir occasionally.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and sauté the onions until they become golden. Add shredded carrots to the onions and cook for another 5 minutes over medium heat.
- After 30 min, turn off the heat for the pot with the zucchinis and strain them again.
- Add strained warm zucchini pure to the carrots and onions and cook for 10 min over medium/low heat.
- Add tomato paste, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Chill the spread in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. If you can wait that long. We clearly couldn't.
If you don't have a food processor, you can pure the zucchinis in a blender and just finely chop the carrots and onion or use a handheld grater.
Store the spread in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 1-1.5 weeks.