Ok, I have a task for you for this weekend. You absolutely have to try this Vegan French Toast recipe. a) It’s as delicious, if not even more delicious, as the real thing b) It’s incredibly easy to make and takes no more than 15 minutes c) It has cinnamon in it and since it’s December, that makes it a must-try recipe.
In my books, this Vegan French Toast is the perfect breakfast for when you want something indulgent, but don’t feel like making anything complicated. Soaked in almond milk infused with the rich flavours of nutmeg and cinnamon and drizzled with maple syrup, this truly is a dreamy breakfast.
I like to serve it with Homemade Vegan Whipped Cream, frozen berries and pomegranate seeds. This combination is out of this world and will satisfy even the pickiest eaters.
Use whatever bread you prefer. In my experience, ciabatta bread works wonderfully in this recipe, but I’ve made it with gluten-free bread as well and it worked just as perfectly. Do make sure that your bread is at least a day old. Freshly baked bread will fall apart after being soaked in the almond milk mixture.
Now that you know what my family is having for breakfast on Christmas morning this year (and probably every weekend leading up to Christmas haha), let me know in the comments what you plan on cooking this holiday season!
- 8 sliced of one-day old bread ( I used ciabatta)
- 1⅓ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- 1½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- maple syrup
- thawed frozen berries
- coconut whipped cream
- pomegranate seeds
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the bread and coconut oil. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Place the bread slices in a large baking dish in a single layer and pour the almond milk mixture on top. Flip the bread a few times to make sure both sides are evenly coated with the mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat half of the coconut oil over medium heat. Cook the bread for about 5 minutes on each sides until it becomes golden. Repeat with the rest of the slices.
- To assemble, place 2-3 slices of toast on a plate. Add coconut whipped cream, berries, pomegranate seeds and drizzle generously with maple syrup.
- Serve right away.
- This vegan french toast can be frozen for up to 4 weeks. Prepare the toast and let cool completely on a wire rack. Place a few pieces of toast in a freezer bag with a piece of parchment paper in between and tightly close the bag. To reheat, preheat oven to 175C/350 F and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or simply use a toaster.