Did you guys know that pairing some foods allows our bodies to absorb more vitamins and reduce the risk of certain diseases? This is the case for foods containing iron and vitamin C.
As you know, iron is absolutely essential for our health. It ensures proper growth and development of our body, strengthens our immune system and helps to fight fatigues (amongst other amazing benefits!).
Vitamin C helps to increase the absorption of iron from non-animal products. This is why this lunch salad with spinach (iron) and oranges (vitamin C) is an absolute treat for your body. Not to mention that it tastes AMAZING and is super easy to make.
If you have a grill available, try grilling the salmon instead as it will reduce the total amount of calories.
To make this salad vegetarian, just skip the fish (and the cheese if you are vegan) and add some cherry tomatoes, bell peppers and avocado.
MAIN: Spinach Salad with Oranges and Crispy Salmon
SIDE: Apple Bunnies
DRINK: Lemon & Lime Water
- 1 salmon fillet (4 oz)
- 1½ cups spinach
- ½ orange
- 1 green onion, minced
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- a few walnuts (or other nuts)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking the fish
- 15 gr goat cheese
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1 apple
- 2 cups cold water
- juice of ½ of lemon
- Make a few 1-inch cuts on the skin of the fillet and season it with salt, pepper and a some olive oil.
- Heat 1 tsp of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Place the salmon fillet in the pan skin side down.
- Once half of the fillet has changed its colour, flip and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes. Don't forget to cook the salmon's bum!
- Flip the fillet back on its skin side, remove from the heat and let it stand like this for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing for salad. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, green onion, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cut salmon into bite-size pieces and combine with spinach, orange slices, goat cheese, walnuts and the dressing in a large bowl.
- Combine 2 cups of cold water and the juice of half of a lemon in bowl.
- Cut the apple in half and each half in 4 pieces. Don't forget to remove the core!
- To make the bunny ears, mark a point in the middle of the apple slice and 2 points on each side about 1 inch away from the end of the apple slice. Make a shallow v-cut connecting the 3 points. Carefully peel away the skin over the v-cut that we created. Slide the knife under the 2 ears, making sure not to cut off the skin. Repeat the process with the rest of the apple slices.
- Place the apple slices in the lemon water for 10 minutes.
Have a Fabulous Lunch!