Today, I decided to share with you one of my breakfast staples – scrambled tofu. This recipe could not be any easier and it’s definitely one of my favourite things to make for breakfast.
Not going to lie, after transitioning to a vegan diet I did miss certain foods. Scrambled eggs, for example, used to be my go-to breakfast before. I was reluctant to try making scrambled tofu at home as I tried it at a restaurant once and was hugely disappointed by the lack of flavours. However, I realized that it can easily be corrected with the right amount of seasoning.
I’ve tried multiple combinations of different spices with the scrambled tofu and finally settled on cumin+turmeric+thyme. Turmeric adds a nice yellow colour to tofu, making it resemble scrambled eggs, while cumin and thyme give it an earthy and minty flavour.
I like adding nutritional yeast to my scrambled tofu as well for added colour and deep, cheesy flavour. Try to look for brands that are fortified with B vitamins for more nutritional benefit.
Let me know if you make tofu for breakfast and what is your favourite way of preparing it! I’ve recently attempted to make an eggless omelette with tofu, but it was a complete disaster hahaha.
- 500 g firm tofu
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- ½ tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp thyme
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- Break tofu into bite-size pieces, then rub between your fingers to break into small bits.
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat.
- Add chopped onion, red pepper and mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tofu and continue cooking for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add soy sauce, cumin, thyme and turmeric and cook for 2-3 minutes until the spices become fragrant.
- Remove from heat and stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.