I always make an effort to eat local organic produce. As much as I like to travel, I don’t think my fruits and veggies should travel for thousands of miles before ending up on my plate.
This lunch was inspired by the produce that is in season during winter. Fresh beets, kale, parsnips, clementines, pomegranate, tangerines. There is so much to choose from!
I came up with this easy and healthy sandwich recipe after having an arugula and roasted beets salad at a restaurant. It tasted incredible! So I thought why not turn this into a sandwich?
The result was a yummy sandwich that was also full of essential minerals and vitamins. You can’t say “No” to that!
For the fruit salad, I used a light poppy seeds dressing which gave it a very nice touch. You can prepare the salad in advance and use it throughout the week for your lunch or have it at home when you feel like snacking.
If you’re a fan of fruit salads, check out this recipe as well.
MAIN: Roasted Beets and Hummus Sandwich
SIDE: Winter Fruit Salad
DRINKS: V8, Water
- 1 medium size beet
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 slices 100% whole grain bread
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 tbsp goat cheese
- ½ cup arugula
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1 orange
- 1 banana
- ½ pomegranate
- 1 tbsp honey/agave nectar
- ½ tbsp red wine vinegar (optional)
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
- juice of ⅓ of lemon
- Preheat oven to 218C/425F.
- Scrub the beet under cold running water.
- Toss the beet in 1 tsp of olive oil in a small baking dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Tightly cover the dish with aluminium foil and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes.
- After an hour, take out the baking dish and let cool before taking off the aluminum foil.
- When the beet is cool enough to handle, peel it and slice it as thinly as you want.
- Spread hummus on one piece of bread and cover with 4-5 beet slices.
- Place goat cheese and arugula on top of the beets. Top with the second slice of bread.
- For the dressing, combine honey, red whine vinegar, lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- In a medium bowl, combine orange slices, banana and pomegranate seeds. Add the dressing and mix well.
Have a Fabulous Lunch!