I’ve had some lavender buds in my cupboard for the longest time. So when I came across a recipe for Lavender Hot Chocolate on Pinterest, I thought I must try making this! I really liked how the hot chocolate turned out. I think it’s a perfect treat for cold fall and winter days.
You should definitely try making your own whipped cream at home. It is really easy and takes just a few minutes. Store bought whipped cream is full of chemicals and artificial flavours.
Just look at the list of the ingredients. You won’t be able to recognize a single thing on it!
And if you’re feeling particularly festive, put whipped cream in the freezer for about 1 hour and use a cookie cutter to create the most adorable whipped cream hearts.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (70% cacao)
- 2 ounces milk chocolate
- ¼ tsp lavender buds
- ½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract or seeds from ¼ of a whole vanilla bean pod
- ½ tbsp granulated white sugar/maple syrup
- Place a small bowl in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- After 10 minutes, combine whipping cream, sugar and vanilla in the cold bowl and whisk on high speed for 3-4 minutes with a mixer.
- Spread the whipped cream on the baking sheet and place it in the freezer for 1-1.5 hours.
- Take out the baking sheet and cut out hearts using a cookie cutter.
- Place the milk and lavender buds in a pot and heat over medium heat until the milk starts to simmer. Don't forget to whisk it occasionally.
- When the milk starts to simmer, remove it form the heat and let the lavender buds steep for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the milk and return to the pot.
- Add chocolate to the milk. Heat over medium heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Whisk the milk for about 20 seconds until the chocolate is well incorporated.
- Pour your hot chocolate in your favourite cup and enjoy!