After posting a picture of the homemade vegan whipped cream on my Instagram, you guys were very eager to find out how I make it. It’s actually as easy as 1-2-3. In fact, the recipe has only 3 ingredients!
When I decided to cut down on dairy, I thought I could never have whipped cream again. I was not a happy camper. But then I thought why don’t I just use coconut milk instead.
I have to admit the first time I tried making whipped cream using coconut milk, it was a complete FAIL. I didn’t chill the milk in advance; so no matter how long I whipped it, it stayed a runny coconutty disaster.
Don’t worry, it didn’t go to waste. I just made a smoothie out of it.
When life gives you lemons…
So I turned to the all-knowing online cookbook, Google, and found out that if you chill the coconut milk overnight, the liquid and the fat will separate. This has made all the difference! Using only the solid part gave the whipped cream the perfect consistency and a light and fluffy texture.
The second time was a definite success and I have been making whipped cream this way ever since.
By then way, after I already filmed the video, I realized that if you turn the can upside down and open it this way, the liquid will be at the top and the coconut fat will stay at the bottom. So you can easily pour out the coconut water. This will make your life a lot easier (aka one less bowl to wash).
I ♥ having this whipped cream with fresh strawberries and putting it on my vegan hot chocolate. It will also go great with an apple pie or any kind of pie for that matter.
Coconut milk is rather fatty. So this is definitely not something you should be eating every day. But it is a healthier choice compared to the traditional whipped cream made using heavy cream. So once in a while, it’s quite alright. 😉
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanila
- Chill the coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you're ready to make the whipped cream, place a bowl in the freezer for about 10 min.
- Turn the can upside down and open with a can opener. The liquid should be at the top and the coconut fat at the bottom. Pour out the liquid and save for later use.
- Take out the chilled bowl and combine coconut fat, agave and vanilla.
- Whip with a hand-held mixer on high speed for 3-4 minutes.