Have you tried pesto sauce before? If yes, let me show you how to make basil pesto sauce at home perfectly every time. If no, man, have you been missing out! But we’re going to change that, right?
Pesto sauce is definitely one of my favourite sauces to make. Why? I’m glad you asked.
1. It tastes ridiculously good. If you’re obsessed with basil and garlic like I am, this recipe needs to go on your must-try list.
2. It’s super easy to prepare. You simply combine all ingredients in a food processor and watch the magic happen right before your eyes.
3. It is insanely versatile. What recipes do I use my pesto in? More like, what recipes don’t I use my pesto in? I like to spread it on my grilled veggie sandwiches, use it as a sauce for pizza and add it to my zucchini noodles and quinoa pasta.
Lately, I’ve also been spreading it on my gluten-free pancakes. Picture this. Warm, right out of the pan, pancake covered generously with basil pesto and sprinkled with fresh arugula and sautéed shiitake mushrooms. Lordy, my mouth is watering just writing about this.
Even though a traditional pesto is made using parmesan cheese, I think this vegan version tastes just as good (well if I’m being completely honest, I think it tastes better). What’s the secret? Nutritional yeast, my friends. In addition to being rich in vitamins, minerals and protein, nutritional yeast has a lovely cheesy flavour that makes it a perfect vegan substitute for grated parmesan cheese.
I agree it does have quite a disgusting name. I mean who wants to eat “nutritional yeast”? But it is truly a wonderful ingredient which I absolutely love both for it’s amazing health benefits and its nutty, cheesy flavour.
One quick tip. Sometimes it can be hard getting your hands on a large amount of fresh basil, and you do need quite a lot of it for this recipe. So what I do is use half basil, half other greens. I’ve made this recipe with basil + parsley and basil + spinach combinations numerous times and the results are always YUM-azing. Yummy and amazing. See what I did there? Ok, I’ll stop now.
Alright, this is where you promise me to try this recipe ASAP. So we can obsess over this pesto together and be pesto bffs.
- 2 cups tightly packed basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until you reach a smooth consistency (about 30 seconds).