Sweet Potatoes are one of my favourite vegetables. They are full of fiber, iron and beta carotene that is essential for healthy skin and eyes and can even prevent several types of cancer. When I don’t feel like spending a lot of time cooking, I often make baked sweet potatoes as they take less than 5 minutes to prep and always turn incredibly delicious.
Today, I wanted to share with you my tips for how to bake sweet potatoes so that they turn out perfectly every time.
A lot of people believe that you need to wrap sweet potatoes in foil in order to bake them properly. I found that it’s not necessary and in fact it makes it harder to separate the sweet potato flesh from the skin. If you follow the simple steps in this video, you are guaranteed a tender texture and amazing flavours.
Baked sweet potatoes are perfect as a side; however, they can easily be turned into a meal. I like to spread a creamy sauce on my sweet potatoes and garnish them with tomatoes and cilantro. It’s super easy and takes no time, yet you end up with a delicious meal full of vibrant colours and rich flavours.
As I mentioned in the video, I like using homemade vegan sour cream or a creamy tahini dressing for my sweet potatoes. Definitely give this combination a try. It is heavenly!
- Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup tahini
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- water, as needed
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Wash sweet potatoes under cold running water and scrub if necessary to remove the dirt.
- Dry with a towel and prick each potato with a fork.
- Turn the oven to 425F/218C and place the potatoes directly on the even rack in the middle of the oven.
- For medium potatoes (2-3 inches in diameter), bake for 40-45 minutes. For larger potatoes, bake for 1 hour - 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, check if the potatoes are ready by inserting a fork or a knife. It should slide right in.
- Remove right away and serve immediately.
- If desired, cut the potatoes in half and spread vegan sour cream or a creamy tahini dressing on top. Garnish with sliced cherry tomatoes and fresh cilantro.
- If not eating right away, cool the sweet potatoes and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- Creamy Tahini Dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk with a fork.
- Add water as needed depending on desired consistency.