It’s finally ice cream weather outside. Not going to lie, I’ve been counting down the days until warm weather. The cold and I don’t get along very well.
To celebrate my favourite time of the year, may I present to you my latest obsession: Chocolate Banana “Ice Cream”. This dreamy dessert will make you a believer that healthy ice cream is possible.
So what’s the deal with this ice cream being fake? Technically, it’s not ice cream at all since it’s made without sugar or dairy. Yet, it has the same texture and taste. Mind blowing.
The secret is frozen bananas. When blended, these babies magically transform into ice cream like goodness. I recommend using a high-speed blender or food processor for this recipe. I use my Vitamix blender it works like a charm.
Please make sure to use ripe bananas as they are the sweetest. So you won’t need to add any extra sweetener to your “nice cream”. Nice cream. Did you get it? Nice because it’s healthy and nice to your body. I wish I came up with this name. But I didn’t.
The cool thing about this recipe is that you can make any type of ice cream you heart desires. For vanilla ice cream, just use bananas and vanilla. For peanut butter ice cream, add a couple of tablespoons of peanut to the mixture. For strawberry ice cream, mix bananas and strawberries. Well, you get it.
Speaking of strawberry ice cream. I actually made this video as a collaboration with my friend Jenny from Jenny Mustard YouTube channel. I recreated her banana ice cream and turned it into chocolate ice cream and she made her variation of my Green Detox Salad. Check out the video Jenny made HERE and show her some love. Turns out you can also use bananas in a salad recipe! I actually made this salad a few days ago and it was the bomb dot com.
- 3 frozen bananas
- 2 tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- handful of cacao nibs (optional)
- handful of walnuts (optional)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup or another sweetener of your choice
- In a blender, combine frozen bananas, cacao powder and vanilla. Blend until you reach ice cream like consistency.
- If you want, add cacao nibs and walnuts and blend for a few more seconds depending on how big you want the chunks to be.
- Transfer to a bowl and enjoy!