Who loves cookies? ME ME ME! You know what I love even more? Healthy cookies! Does that even exist, you might ask? Well, of course! A while back I shared with you my recipe for Chewy Oatmeal Raisin cookies. These oatmeal cookies taste nothing like “healthy” cookies, yet are super nutritious for your body.
Today, I have another treat for you – Ginger Coconut Cookies! Just look at these beauties. Aren’t they precious?
When my dad was diagnosed with severe candida, he was put on a strict, no-sugar diet. Now let me tell you this; my dad might be a grown man, but he loves his sweets like a 5 year old boy. So I had to get very creative in order to satisfy his cravings and make sure he sticks to his diet. This is how these cookies were born.
The secret to making your cookies completely sugar-free is this awesome natural sweetener called stevia. Stevia is a green, leafy plant that mostly grows in South America. It’s known to provide many health benefits and has been used for medicinal purposes for many centuries.
Many believe that stevia is the healthiest sweetener. It has zero calories and is 100% natural, but more importantly, unlike other healthy sweeteners like maple syrup, honey and agave nectar, stevia does not have negative effects on your blood sugar. It does not cause your blood sugar to spike. This is especially important for people with diabetes and candida.
I do have to admit that stevia is not the easiest ingredient to cook with. I have tried using it many times, and sometimes I failed. But it definitely works really well with these ginger coconut cookies.
Let me know in the comments if you would like more videos with stevia in the future!
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds, extra for decorating
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 10 drops liquid stevia
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift coconut flour. Add hemp seeds, salt and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine wet ingredients: coconut oil, almond milk, stevia and grated ginger. Stir and add the dry ingredients.
- Stir for 1 minute to let the coconut flour absorb some of the liquid.
- Using a tablespoon measuring spoon, form cookies and plop them onto the baking sheet.
- Gently press each cookie with your finger and sprinkle with some extra hemp seeds.
- Bake cookies for 25-30 minutes until they become a light golden colour.
- Remove from the oven and place cookies on a plate.
- Enjoy with a glass of almond milk or a cup of tea.