We don’t have that many family traditions, but a potato salad at each holiday party is a must. This is a vegan potato salad recipe that I healthified to accommodate my current diet. It’s made with homemade vegan mayonnaise and steamed red skinned potatoes.
This is NOT a healthy recipe that tastes bad. This is a healthy recipe that your family will be fighting over trying to decide who gets seconds. Trust me. I’ve been there.
I love sneaking some fresh veggies into my potato salad. In this recipe, I added celery, carrots and peas. You can also use cucumbers, radishes or even corn. I just love the pop of colour that they add to this dish. In my opinion, regular potato salad looks a bit sad.
For the dressing, I always use my homemade vegan mayo. You get to avoid unnecessary additives and preservations while still enjoying the creamy texture.
If you want the salad to be lower in fat, you can substitute the dressing with my Lemon Vinaigrette. It actually works amazingly with the potatoes and gives them a fresh, zesty flavour. If I’m making the salad just for myself, I usually go with this dressing instead.
Like I mentioned in the video, it’s best to chill the salad in the fridge for a few hours before serving. BUT. Do try it when it’s warm. It still tastes amaze beans especially if you use the lemon vinaigrette dressing.
- 8 medium red skinned potatoes
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 medium carrot
- ½ cup of frozen peas, defrosted
- ⅔-3/4 cup chopped onion
- dill or other herbs to taste
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Without peeling the skin off, cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Steam the potatoes for 10-15 minutes until ready. To check if they're ready use a fork or a knife.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice celery, carrot and onion.
- Combine the diced vegetables and peas in a large bowl.
- When the potatoes are cooked, remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by combining mayo, minced garlic, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Once the potatoes have cooled slightly, add them to the rest of the vegetables and mix thoroughly with the dressing.
- Finally, add your fresh herbs and stir again.
- Chill the potato salad for a couple of hours before serving (optional).