Yes, another chocolate recipe. ? Today, I’m going to show you how I make my DIY Nutella Hot Chocolate. This recipe is both vegan and free of refined sugars, but don’t be fooled. It’s one of the most scrumptious and decadent treats I’ve made in a while.
This is my updated version of a vegan hot chocolate. A couple of years ago, I posted the recipe for a basic vegan hot cocoa. That one is still very delicious, but I gotta say that this Nutella hot chocolate is something else. The creamy texture, mouth watering smell and the rich chocolaty flavour make this drink a perfect treat to enjoy on a cold winter day.
The first step of making this Nutella hot chocolate is of course to prepare your homemade Nutella. Don’t worry it’s so simple to make and doesn’t take very long. After you prepare the hot chocolate, you still have a jar of Nutella to enjoy. I don’t think anyone can complain about that.
If you’re wondering, I prefer using the Nutella made with coconut sugar for this hot chocolate (I have 3 DIY Nutella versions posted on my blog), but either one will work just fine.
If you have both almond and coconut milk at home, I highly suggest using both for your hot chocolate. Adding coconut milk creates a creamier texture, while the almond milk keeps the calorie content of your drink lower.
A fun fact: my dad likes this hot chocolate chilled. He puts the glass in the fridge for a couple of hours and then eats it like a pudding with a spoon. The hot chocolate thickens up quite a bit and resembles a smoothie/pudding. Give it a try!
I personally like to drink my hot chocolate warm while reading a book or watching Netflix. OHH YEAH. ? ☕️
Vegan Whipped Cream: Get the recipe HERE.
Homemade Nutella: Get the recipe HERE.
Chocolate Sauce: Get the recipe HERE.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 50 gr vegan dark chocolate (60-75% cacao)
- ⅓ cup homemade Nutella
- 1 tbsp coconut syrup
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp vanilla (optional)
- dash of sea salt (optional)
- 1 tbsp ALOHA Daily Good Greens Supplement (optional)
- Break chocolate into chunks.
- In a small pot, combine almond milk, coconut milk and chocolate chunks. Heat over medium heat for 2-3 minutes while whisking occasionally.
- When the chocolate has melted completely add the rest of the ingredients and continue whisking after adding each one.
- When the hot chocolate is smooth and all ingredients are well combined, remove the pot from heat.
- Pour hot chocolate in a jar and top with homemade coconut whipped cream and shaved chocolate or a chocolate sauce.