If you were to ask me what is my favourite sandwich at the moment, I would have to say, “This one. Right here. Now excuse me while I go make it and have a party in my tummy”.
I’ve never had that much trouble finishing a video in my life! All I wanted to do is grab the sandwich and eat it. I had to use some extreme self-control that day. Hahaha
I absolutely love the combination of roasted vegetables with arugula and goat cheese. You can also use fresh mozzarella cheese for this sandwich or skip it altogether if you don’t eat dairy. It’s all about adapting the recipe to accommodate your diet and preferences.
And for those of you who like it spicy (I do!), this vegetarian sandwich will be a total hit. The creamy avocado spread adds just the right amount of heat and perfectly completes this scrumptious, healthy sandwich. If you don’t have time to make the spread, simply spread some avocado on your bread instead.
I like using grilled zucchinis and eggplants in my sandwiches and salads because of the amazing health benefits they have. Both zucchinis and eggplants are full of essential antioxidants. Why are antioxidants so important? Why do we need them?
As you can guess from the name, antioxidants help fight oxidation (they are anti oxidation). Oxidation is a normal process that takes place in our body every day and can be accelerated by stress, cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption.
Like I mentioned in the video vitamin C and manganese help to protect your tissues from harmful free radicals. These damaging chemicals are created when there are disruptions in the natural oxidation process and are also present in foods we eat and air we breath.
Why should we be afraid of free radicals? After all, they are just these tiny chemicals…
They might be tiny, but they are also extremely destructive. Free radicals may cause your healthy cells to function poorly or even die. Scary stuff, huh?
Antioxidants to the rescue!
When possible, try to roast or grill your zucchinis and eggplants rather than sautéing them as it will significantly reduce the amount of calories you’re consuming. Have you ever noticed how eggplants act as a sponge, soaking up all the oil when you try to sauté them?
You’ll have leftover spread with this recipe since you’ll only need a teaspoon. Use the leftovers to make more sandwiches and wraps or have it as a dip with your favourite crackers. Also, check out how you can easily turn this spread into a creamy salad dressing!
MAIN: Grilled Vegetable Sandwich with Avocado Chipotle Spread
SIDES: Arugula, Grapes, Almonds, Dried Strawberries
DRINK: Lemon Water
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- dash chipotle chilli pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 slices of bread (I used olive bread)
- 1 tsp avocado chipotle spread
- 2-3 strips of grilled zucchini
- 2-3 strips of grilled eggplant
- 1 tbsp of roasted red pepper
- ½ cup arugula
- 1 tbsp goat chese
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop the flesh into a blender or food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and process for about 20 seconds until you reach the desired consistency.
- If you don't have a food processor, use a fork to mash the avocado and mix all the ingredients.
- Spread the avocado chipotle spread on one slice of bread.
- Cover with grilled vegetables and roasted red pepper.
- Add arugula and goat cheese and cover with the second piece of bread.
Have a Fabulous Lunch!