Valentine’s Day is coming up! Last year, I made a video for a Brown Velvet Sheet Cake shaped in form of a heart. This year, I decided to continue my tradition and share with you another healthy, heart-shaped dessert. ♥♥♥
I think these Chewy Chocolate Brownies will make the perfect treat for
this special day. You know what? Scratch that. They are perfect for any day when you want to treat yourself with a guilt-free yumminess. These brownies are dairy-free, free of refined white sugar and are almost gluten-free. Watch the video to find out how you can easily turn this recipe into a gluten-free dessert.
I can tell you for sure that if you make these babies for your loved ones they will LOVE YOU forever. And ever. And will not stop bugging you to make these brownies again and again.
I’m using some of my favourite healthy baking ingredients in this recipe such as spelt flour, coconut oil, agave and applesauce. I’m considering making a blog post with a list of all healthy baking ingredients I use and how to make healthy substitutions in baking. Let me know if that’s something you guys would be interesting in reading.
For now, let me just tell you that if you haven’t tried baking with spelt flour, you are missing out big time. I talked a bit about the health benefits of this flour in my oatmeal cookies post. And I promise you after you use spelt flour once, you won’t want to go back to white flour ever again.
How can you make these chocolate brownies even more chocolaty? Simple, my friends. Just frost them with a delicious vegan chocolate ganache. Mmmm perfecto!
Just look at them! Don’t these babies make you wanna make a nice cup of tea and just om nom nom nom?
Why does “nom” represent the sound of eating? Who makes this sound? Weird…
Anyways, I definitely think you should make these brownie hearts for yourself as well as your loved ones. Because loving yourself is the greatest love of all ♥
You can make this recipe a double dessert by turning the scrapes into brownie bites.
- 1 cup spelt or oat flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder, extra for decorating
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup agave or maple syrup
- ½ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil, extra for greasing the pan
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- cocoa powder
- shredded coconut
- crushed nuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8x8 baking pan with a little bit of coconut oil.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix. Stir in the dark chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35 min or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut out 4 hearts using a 2½ inch cookie cutter. Dust each heart brownie with cocoa powder or frost with chocolate ganache.
- Break leftovers into smaller pieces and form into 1-inch balls.
- Roll each ball in a coating that you like.