If you like baking during winter as much as I do, then you should definitely try making this scrumptious apple pie. Well, it doesn’t really have to be winter. I learned this recipe from my grandma and it became my go-to dessert when I want something yummy, but don’t have too much time to prepare it. I made a few changes to the original ingredients to make this recipe a healthy, guilt-free dessert.
In Russian this apple pie is called “шарлотка” (sharlotka), and there are a few variations of how to make it. This is my grandma’s version of “шарлотка”.
I hope you enjoy it!
The best part about this pie is that you don’t need to worry about making a complicated pie crust. So this is probably one of the easiest apple pie recipes you will ever come across.
I substituted all-purpose flour with spelt flour and white sugar with coconut palm sugar. Ever since I learned about the health benefits of these 2 ingredients, I started using them in all recipes that asked for regular white flour and white sugar.
Spelt flour contains much less gluten compared to regular white and whole wheat flours. It is also high in fiber and protein. Coconut palm sugar is considered to be the best healthy alternative for white sugar, according to Dr. Oz. Switching from white sugar to coconut palm sugar will help you to prevent blood sugar crashes. And as you know, blood sugar crashes make you hungry, thus, causing a weight gain.
Not bad, right?
- 4 apples, cut in small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour (I used spelt flour)
- 1 cup sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
- lemon juice
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- baking cooking spray or butter to grease the pan
- ¼ cup icing sugar for decorating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/356F.
- Spay the spring form pan with cooking spray or grease it with butter.
- Cut apples into bite-size pieces, removing the core.
- Place apple slices in the pan. You can sprinkle the apples with some lemon juice to keep them from browning, but I usually skip this step.
- Sprinkle apples with 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- Whisk the eggs with a mixer. Then, gradually add coconut palm sugar. Continue whisking for 5-7 minutes.
- Gradually add the spelt flour to eggs and sugar and mix for 2-3 minutes until the flour is well incorporated.
- Add vanilla and salt to the batter.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to the baking soda and pour into the batter as well. This will help the pie to rise.
- When all of the ingredients are mixed together, pour the batter over the apples. You want to cover all of the apples, but do NOT mix the batter with the apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, use a tooth pick to check if the pie is ready. If it comes out clean, your pie is done.
- Cool the pie for a few minutes and remove from the pan.
- Serve the pie with some ice cream or sprinkle it with some icing sugar.